Curriculum Vitae of Dr Michael
Qualifications: MD FRCGP FFPHM MRCS LRCP M.B.B.S. E.C.F.M.G Dip Clinical Immunology Dip Clinical
Dermatology Dip SMMGP Pt 1 FRSA
Companies: TORCHE CC Ltd and ONE NORBITON
Married- Wife retired GP. I have three children & five grandchildren.
1993- Chairman & Founder of TORCHE Clinical
(Total Outcome Responsive Community & Healthcare Enterprises) - a not for profit company.
1996- Member of (RAG) Resource
Allocations Group - now renamed (ACRA) Advisory Committee on Resource Allocation (to Sec of State)
2009 Project Director Carecreds.org
Contingency Management Scheme for Class A addicts
2011 Chair of the Community Working Group of “One Norbiton”
12 G.C.E. Ordinary Level Passes
5. A Level Passes
Greek, Latin, Ancient History, Physics & Chemistry
L.R.C.P. (1966 Guy’s Hospital) M.B.B.S. E.C.F.M.G.
Diploma in Immunology 1971 (Brompton Hospital)
M.R.C.G.P. 1976 F.R.C.G.P
M.D. (1979 London) (The value of General Health Check-ups)
M.F.C.M. F.F.C.M. F.F.P.H.M.
Elected FRSA (2002)
Diploma in Clinical Dermatology 2004
SMMGP Pt 1 Certificate in the Management of Drug Misuse 2008
Quality Outcomes Framework training
class in Mental Health.
Managing Drug Misuse
Learned society membership
Osler Society (1966)
Royal Society of Medicine (1971)
Society of Social Medicine (1972)
British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (1985)
Elected Fellow of the RSA (1999
1960-1966 Medical Student -Guy’s Hospital Medical School
Company Director Hillbrow Caravans Ltd.
1965 Editor of Guy’s Gazette
1966 House Physician - Guy’s Hospital (General Medicine and Venereology) - Dr.J.C.Houston (Dean
1967 House Surgeon - Farnborough, Kent (General Surgery)
1967 House Physician - Farnborough, Kent (Paediatrics and Dermatology)
General Practice - Locum Services
1969 Sen. House Physician - Brook Hospital (General
Medicine & Geriatrics)
1970 Medical Officer - Iraq Petroleum Company Qatar
& Abu Dhabi (Arabian Gulf)
1970-1972 Clinical Lecturer - Dept. Clinical immunology,
Cardiothoracic Institute - Prof.Jack Pepys
1972-82 Lecturer & Hon. Senior. Registrar
– Dept Community Medicine St Thomas’s Prof W Holland
principal in General Practice Kingston - Dr Boxer & Partners
Trainer in General Practice & GP Tutor
1985- University of London Tutor for Kingston
1993- Recognized Teacher in Community Medicine at the University of London
Hon. Senior Research Fellow Dept. Community Medicine St.Thomas’s Hospital - Prof.Walter Holland
1975-82 Lecturer in Epidemiology in General Practice Cardiothoracic Inst.- Dr.Ian Gregg
1983-90 Research Fellow - St.George’s Hosp., Dept. General Practice & Dept. Clinical Epidemiology
and Social Medicine) - Prof. Paul Freeling & Prof. Ross. Anderson
Lecturer and Head of Unit of General practice Cardiothoracic Inst. Brompton Hospital
Member of Kingston and Esher District Health Authority
1989 Reappointed to Kingston
District Health Authority
1989 Appointed to Quality Assurance Committee of DHA
1990 Appointed University of London Tutor in General Practice for Kingston.
Appointed Medical Correspondent: Sunday People
1991 Appointed Medical Correspondent to the Daily Mirror
1992-96 Elected first Chairman of Kingston & Richmond Multifund,
Founder and Chairman of AIM (Association of Independent Multifunds) 1995-98 Careholding (Total Fund holding)
1998-99 President AIM (Association of Independent Multifunds)
Appraiser in General Practice later PCT appraiser
For Kingston PCT
Quality Outcomes Framework Inspector Kingston PCT
2003 Caldicott Guardian
Senior Partner - Canbury Medical Centre. Retired 2011
Other Hospital Experience: Locum duties in Thoracic Surgery (Guy’s Hospital), Cardiology
(Brompton Hospital), Paediatrics (Guy’s Hospital), Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Guy’s Hospital)
Over thirty years of Epidemiological and Primary care research
in wide range of areas including: Allergy, Chest disease; Multi-phasic screening, Hypertension, Deafness, Depression, Substance
misuse, Rhinitis and Dermatology. Current interests include developing outcome tools. Health credits to encourage patient
participation. Helical Home streets- new designs for urban environments.
Non-medical research in Homeric geography. See Odysseus
Unbound.org Fund Raising
I have raised approximately £500,000 for research from a variety of source including LORS Regional grant,
Kingston Borough National Asthma Campaign and different pharmaceutical companies.
Specialist and advisory experience
Visiting consultant on allergic problems to the Kuwait Government
1996 I have been a member of (RAG) Resource Allocations Group - now renamed (ACRA) Advisory Committee on Resource Allocation
This advises the Secretary of State on how to allocate all government monies devoted to health.
As Chairman of the Association of Independent Multifunds
and in other contexts I have had dealings with political leaders of the BMA, RCN, RCGP, NAPCG & Alliance. I have also
had a number of personal meetings with John Major, Stephen Dorrell, Alan Milburn, Chris Smith, Peter Mandleson, Frank Dobson,
Tessa Jowell, Baroness Jay, Ed Davey and a number of NHS & Treasury Senior Civil servants.
Since 1970, postgraduate lecturing in respiratory and cardio-vascular
diseases at the Brompton and elsewhere. Tutor on fellowship course for research in general practice at Guys and St. Thomas’s.
RCGP tutor. Trainer/registrar course organiser since 1989.
Visiting lecturer to Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia (1975 and 1978).
Presented paper on Screening at the International Congress of Epidemiology Puerto Rico (1976).
“The once & future Hypertensive” Paper in
Keynote Speaker, North American Primary Care Research Group, Banff, Canada (1983).
Invited Critical Discussant
at International Conference on Implementation of Preventative Services, Montreal, Canada (1987).
Member of the first British
Epidemiological Mission to China (1992).
1992 I gave lectures in Beijing,
Kunming, and Shanghai.
What do health professionals want beyond 2000? 1997 Europe Blanche XVIII Madrid and again invited
to XXI Helsinki 1999. Numerous one day presentation sessions in UK on a variety of subjects.
Helical Home Streets- Presentation
to the Healthy Cities conference RCP London 2002
Sporting and other activities
Qatar National Mixed Doubles
Badminton Champion 1970.
Regular badminton player and occasional Tennis & Cricket player.
Sedentary interests include History and Poetry & Computers.
Patents and publications
Patent Title: Thymometer 1998,
GB2318712 A 19980429.
Patent Title: Measuring physiological data and identifying persons 1999, GB2332969 A 19990707.
Peer review articles
1. Generalised Lymphoedema with Yellow
Nails, Pleural Effusions and Macroglobulinaemia (sole author), Proc. Royal Soc. Medicin 1970; p.456
with Dermatophagoides Pteronyssinus in House Dust Allergy: A controlled Study of Clinical and Immunological Effects (first
author), Clin.Allergy 1973; 2: p.177-193.
3. Clinical and Immunological Responses to Enzymes of Bacillus Subtilis in Factory
Workers and Consumers (joint author), Clin.Allergy 1973; 3: p.143-160.
4. Five-Year Follow-up of Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis
(joint author) American Review of Respiratory Disease 1973: 108: p.450-459.
5. An Analysis of Skin Prick Test Reactions in 656 Asthmatic
Patients (joint author) Thorax 1975; 30: p.2-8.
6. The Drop-Out Problems and the Effectiveness of Population treatment of Raised
Blood Pressure (joint author) Pathophysiology and Management of Arterial Hypertension - Proceedings of a Conference in Copenhagen,
1975 Sahlgrenska, Goteborg, Sweden.
7. Deafness in Middle Age - How Big is the Problem? (first author) J. Royal. College
of General Practitioners 1975; 25: p.472-478.
8. A long-term Controlled Trial of Screening for Hypertension in General Practice
(first author) The Lancet 1976; p.1228-1231.
9. A Controlled Trial of Multiphasic Screening in Middle Age: Results of the South-East
London Screening Study (joint author) International Journal of Epidemiology 1977; 6: No.4, p.357-363.
10. Is Mass Screening Justified? (joint
author) Tijdschrift Voor Geneeskunde 1978; 45: p.22-25.
11. Allergy and Wheezy Children (sole author) Proc. of the Royal Society of Medicine 1979;
Valeur du Depistage Multiple en Practique Generale. (with C. de V.Florey) “Vers une Evaluation des Risques” Proceedings
Recontre Nationale des Medicins et Biologists des Centres d’Examans de Sante 1980 Lille, France.
13. Multiphasic Screening in Middle
Age - Results and Implications of a Controlled Trial in British General Practice (joint author) Israeli Journal of Medical
Science 1981; 17: p.215-221
14. Confirming the Diagnosis of Mild Hypertension (joint author) B.M.J. 1983; 286: p.287-289.
15. A Method for Evaluating Therapy
for Hayfever - A Comparison of Four Treatments. (joint author) J.Clin.Allergy 1983; 13: p.329-335.
16. A Community Trial Strategy for Evaluating Treatments
for Symptomatic Conditions (joint author) Statistics in Medicine 1985; 4: p.11-21.
17. Myocardial Infarction and the Emotional Climate. (joint
author) The Lancet 1984; 17th. March: p.615-619.
18. Henschrupfen Eine Methode zur Therapiebeurteilung (first author) Extracta
Paediatrica 1984; 3: p.235-236.
19. An open cross over trial comparing two doses of Astemizole and Beclomethasone Dipropionate in the treatment
of Perennial Rhinitis (joint author) Clin.Allergy 1986; 16: p.203-211.
20. Questionnaire Assessment of Patients Attitudes and Beliefs about Asthma.(joint
author) Family Practice 1989; 3: No.1. p 37-41.
21. Hayfever Treatments - Which should be Tried First? (first author) J.Royal College of General Practitioners
1987; 37: p.296-30.
Is the prevalence of atopy increasing? (joint author) Royal College of General Practitioners 1990; 40: p338-340.
23. A general practice based survey
of bronchial responsiveness and its relation to symptoms, sex, age, atopy and smoking. CJ Trigg et al (joint author) Thorax
Factors affecting the long-term variability of bronchial responsiveness in an adult gneral practic population. CJ Trigg
et al (joint author) European Respiratory Journal, 1994, 7, 703-709
25. The Multifund and Outcome Research. (Sole Author) International Journal
of Epidemiology 1995 Vol 24 No 3 (Suppl 1)
26. Comparative review of the effects of inhaled beclomethasone diproprionate and budesonide
on bone (sole author) Respiratory Medicine 1998 92 (Suppl B), 24-36
27. A comparison of the systemic effects of three inhaled corticosteroids on
bone metabolism and hypothalamic axis in patients with asthma. MF D’Souza, R. Eastell, I. Stevenson and
P Barnes. Thorax (in Press)
28. Substance Misuse Services in Prmary Heaith Care C.White, C Kouimtsidis/ M D’Souza, H
Freeman, M Grau, V Saunders, T Toosey/ A Trompetas, M Wake, J Annan & H Ghodse* Drugs: education,
prevention and policy, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2002
Early Diagnosis and Multiphasic Screening (sole author) “Recent Advances in Community Medicine” 1978 Ed. A.E.Bennett,
The Use of the Controlled Trial to Measure New Health Care Systems (sole author) “Measurement of Levels of Health”
1978 W.H.O. I.E.A. book.
3. Screening for All - Excellence or Extravagance? (sole author) “Topics in Occupational
Health”. 1979 John Wright.
4. How to ask the Questions (sole author) “Teaching in General Practice” 1981 Eds.
J.Cormack, M.Marinker and D.Morrell, Kluwer Medical.
5. The Case Against the Medical Check-up and Routine Screening (sole
author) “Common Dilemmas in Family Medicine” 1983 Ed. J.Fry, M.T.P.Press Ltd.
6. How Can I Prevent Disease or Disability?
(sole author) “Epidemiology in General Practice” 1988 Ed. D.Morrell, Oxford Medical Press.
1. General Health Screening - an Assessment of its Value
in Middle Age 1979 London University M.D. Thesis.
2. Medicine in International Cooperation, Hodgkin Memorial Symposium Guy’s
1967 M.E. Pembrey and M.F. D’Souza, Joint Editors and Publishers.
3. An introduction to community medicine 1983 C. du V. Florey
P. Burney M. D’Souza E. Scrivens and P. West, Churchill Livingstone.
1. Editor, Guy’s Hospital Gazette, 1965-66.
2. Epidemiology of Allergy in Kuwait (first
author) Report to Kuwait Government 1972.
3. Practical Problems in Long-Term Research (first author) Annual Report of the Social
Medicine and Health Services Research Unit, St Thomas’s Hospital 1973-74.
4. A General review of Current Established
Screening Procedures (sole author) Health Bulletin 1976; 18: p.54-57.
5. Introduction and Definitions in Screening (sole
author) “Health Screening”, Society of Occupational Medicine 1977.
6. The Value of Screening and Health Surveillance
to Employment (sole author) J. Royal College of Physicians 1978; 12: No.3, p.230-239.
7. If Only You’d Come Sooner (sole
author) World Medicine June 1978.
8. A Conscience about Time and Money (sole author) General Practitioner August 1979.
9. The Once and
Future Hypertensive (sole author) Hypertension in Primary Care 1980 Occasional Paper 12, Royal College of General Practitioners.
10. The General Practitioner’s
Role in Identifying the Needs of the Disabled (joint author), Proceedings of the Naidex Conference 1980.
11. The Pressure to Treat (Editorial)
The Lancet; p.1283-84.
Hayfever Conjunctivitis in General Practice (sole author) Proceedings of a Workshop in Stoke D’Abernon 1981 Ed. L.M.T.Collum,
Medical Education Services Ltd.
13. Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis: treatment in General Practice (sole author) Proceedings of a Workshop in Stoke
D’Abernon 1981 Ed.J.Widdicombe, Medical Education Services Ltd.
14. The Diagnosis of Asthma in General Practice (sole author) Respiratory Disease
in Practice 1982; 1: No.1, p.11-16.
15. Nebulizers, too Dangerous for General Practice? (Editorial) Respiratory Disease in Practice 1983;
Sneeze, Wheeze and Itch ... (sole author) Current Practice 1983 Dec.9th. p. 20.
17. Childhood Asthma (sole author) The Physician 1985; p.198-200.
18. The Epidemiology of Allergic
Rhinitis (sole author) Perspective of Therapeutics in Europe 1985 Report of a Conference at R.C.P. Theracom Ltd.
19. What’s Best for a Wheezy
Chest? (Sole author) Mims Magazine 1986; p.31-33.
20. Preventative Patterns of Canadian Primary Care Physicians, “Implementing Preventative
Services”(sole author) Am .J. Preventative Medicine 1988; p.23-26.
21. Treatment of “Red-Eye” in General Practice, (sole author) Third
Workshop on External Eye Disease and Inflammation 1988 April; p.49-50, Fison’s Publications.
22.“Screening” - Pulse 1997
23.“Why AIM?” Journal
do health professionals want beyond 2000?Careholding in the UK” (Sole Author) 1997 Europe Blanche XVIII p100-107
Abstracts and Letters
1. “Puffs per Aerosol” (joint author) B.M.J. 1972; 1: p.177.
2. Positive Immediate
Skin Tests in the Community (first author) The Lancet 1973; 11: p.325.
3. Measurement of Blood Pressure (first author) B.M.J. 1976;
The Distinction of Allergic Disorders and Atopy in the Community and Their Relationship to Total Levels of Serum IgE Antibodies
(first author) Supplement. American Review of Respiratory Diseases April 1977 (Abs).
5. Hayfever (first author) J. Royal College
of General Practitioners 1981; p.443.
6. Evaluation of Therapy for Hayfever (first author) Proceedings. International Congress
of Allergy and Clinical Immunology October 1982 (Abs).
7. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Clinical or Neurological Diagnosis (sole
author) The Lancet 11th May 1985.
8. Faint Palatal Rash and Viral Labyrinthitis (sole author) The Lancet, 20th.
February 1988; p.410).
A Prospective Study of Clinical Significance of Bronchial Hyperresponsiveness in the Population (joint author) American Review
of Resp. Diseases 1989; 139: A66 (Abs).
10. Do patients with bronchial hyperreactivity present more frequently with respiratory complaints
in general practice? (joint author) Thorax 1988; 43: no 3:220P. (Abs).
11. An investigation into the natural history of bronchial hyperresponsiveness
(jointly) Thorax 1988; 43: 10 818P (Abs).
12. Respiratory morbidity and bronchial hyperresponsiveness - a prospective study. (jointly) Thorax
1989; 44: 848P (Abs).
Prophylactic treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis.(first author) Clinical and Experimental Allergy 1990 abstracts of EAACI
meeting P245 p. 100.
Dermatology Opinions via Intranet could reduce waiting times. (Letter) BMJ 1999; 318: p.737. MF D’Souza et al
15. Dermaclinic: preliminary triage
by GP Specialoids? (Letter) Br J Gen Pract 2000; 50: 238. MF D’Souza et al